Tuesday 6 December 2011

5 English Idioms & phrasal verbs to use when you are ill

When you are ill, it’s important that you can express yourself and tell your family and friends how bad you feel. You may sometimes say that you feel terrible or awful, but this doesn’t really express how bad the situation is. Here a few English Idioms and English Phrasal Verbs that I use to express myself when I feel ill.
English Idioms to use when you feel ill

What does “Sick As A Dog” mean?

When you are as sick as a dog, you are so ill, you can’t even get out of bed! It’s strange because dogs aren’t always sick so I don’t really know where it originates from. If you feel as sick as a dog, take lots of medication and go to bed. Let your friends and family look after you.
“Sorry, Mum. I can’t help you clean the house because I’m as sick as a dog.”

What does “Under the Weather” mean?

Often in Britain, we say: “I feel a little under the weather”. It means that you are a little bit ill but not very ill.
Sometimes I would say: “I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I feel a little under the weather. I hope I’m not going to be really ill tomorrow.”


What does “Run out of Steam” mean?



Remember: “to run out” means that you have used all you have. e.g. I have run out of money, I don’t have any more!


Steam is what used to power Steam Engines (trains) in the past. Imagine a steam engine without steam, it can’t move.

When you say: “I have run out of steams”, it means that you have no more energy left.
“I can’t climb this mountain any more. We have been climbing all day and now I have run out of steam. I must stop!”









What does “Burnt Out” mean?

Like a candle, when you are burnt out, you can’t do any more!
I’m burnt out. I’ve been working so hard today, I have to stop and go home.


What does “Run Down” mean?

When you feel like you need a holiday, and you feel like you have worked too much, you can say that you are run down.
“It’s cold and I’ve been working everyday for 3 months. I’m run down and I need a holiday.” 

3 comments:

  1. Make your own sentence on all of Idioms

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These homework make me headache everytime. I think I need some rest cause I feel run down..correct?

    ReplyDelete