Tuesday 6 December 2011

When to use "Have to | Supposed to | Ought to"

English can be confusing and we have lots of different ways of saying the same thing.


Remember: “Have to” is the same as “must” and means that something is obligatory, you have no choice!


I have to do my English homework! = I must do my English homework!







When to use “Supposed to”

When you have an obligation to do something, we say you are supposed to do it.
E.g. You are supposed to study hard in school. You are supposed to help people who need help. You are supposed to be nice to your family.

When to use “Ought to”

If you should do something, but you do not have to do if, we say you ought to do it.
E.G. The house is a mess, I ought to clean it but I’m too tired!
I ought to revise for my English exam tomorrow but I don’t have enough energy!
Ought to means a suggestion. You should do something but you don’t have to do it.
Remember:
“Supposed to”, “Ought to”, “Have to” and “must” are all modals and should be followed by a verb. They are also used to express that if you don’t do something, there will be a consequence.
I have to help my mum clean the house. (If I don’t, she will be angry with me.)
I am supposed to help my mum clean the house (If I don’t, she will not be very impressed with me)
I ought to help my mum clean the house. (I don’t have to if I don’t want to, but I feel I should do it because I want to make her happy.)
Leave a comment below and tell me 3 things you have to/supposed/ought to do! Ben.



1 comment: