Friday 13 January 2012

The use of would,could,should.

The use of would,could,should

should

Should is used to give advice and make recommendations and to talk about obligation, duty and what is expected to happen. Reference is to the present and the future. Should is similar to must but is not as strong as must:

    You should always wear a helmet when you go out cycling on busy roads.

would

If we want to talk about an unreal or unlikely situation that might arise now or in the future, we use a past tense in the if-clause and would + infinitive in the main clause. Compare the following and note that would is often abbreviated to 'd:

    How would you manage, if I wasn't here to help you? ~ I'd manage somehow. I wouldn't bother to cook. I'd go out to eat or bring home a take-away. I'd ask your mother to help me with the washing and the ironing. I know she'd help me.

could

Could can be used to ask for permission, to make a request and express ability in the past. Compare the following:

    Could I borrow your black dress for the formal dinner tomorrow? ~ Of course you can!

1 comment: